#196 Civic Arts Theatre ("Nuthouse")

#196 Civic Arts Theatre ("Nuthouse")

1601 Civic Dr. -- 1965

In 1965, the City re-purposed an old walnut warehouse as the Civic ArtsTheatre & Gallery – affectionately nicknamed “The Nuthouse.” Some 25 years later and through extensiveprivate fundraising, “The Nuthouse” was replaced with the Lesher Center for theArts, a regional performing and visual arts center. The Center is named forDean and Margaret Lesher; Dean Lesher was the founder of the Contra Costa Timesand a significant supporter of arts and education.

  • Listen to the audio